Captain Mohammed Anam Chowdhury
Secondary School Certificate ( SSC ) & Higher Secondary School Certificate ( HSC ) from Jhinedah Cadet College (1968-1974). Pre sea training from Bangladesh Marine Academy (1975-1977). Awarded Ministry’s Silver Medal as the best Nautical cadet in the passing out examination. Achieved Master Mariner certificate from U.K in 1986.
Sailed 15 years at sea ( 6 years as Captain/Master ). Working ashore in Shipping industries since 1991. Port Captain with M/S METALINK, USA organizing door to door US food aid services to land locked African countries for two years (1991-1993). Beaching master and advisor to Bangladesh Ship Breakers Association since 1993. Having vast experience in handling, beaching and salvaging vessels of various sizes (VLCCs to smaller cargo vessels ). As beaching master handled more then 2200 vessels.
Provides advisory/consultancy services to Ship Recycling Facilities ( Ship Breaking Yards ) in regard to development achieving standards of ISO 30000:2009 ( Ship Recycling Management System ) and Hong Kong Convention.
Member of MEPC (Marine Environment Protection Committee) in both correspondence and working group. MEPC is a legislative body of IMO (International Maritime Organization).
President, Society of Master Mariners of Bangladesh, an association of all Master Mariners (foreign going, unlimited) of Bangladesh.
Member Executive Committee, The Nautical Institute of Bangladesh, ( a branch of Nautical Institute of the United Kingdom ).
Adviser to the Bangladesh Ship Breakers Association since 1993. Deals with rules, legislation and arbitration of the scrap ship related matters.
Attended following meetings/seminars/sessions and delivered speeches/papers as representative of Bangladesh:-
- Preliminary session on joint ILO/IMO/BC working group on ship Recycling ( London 09th-12th Feb 2005 )
- Joint ILO/IMO/BC working group on ship recycling, ( London 15 -17th Feb 2005)
- Intercessional meeting of the working group on Ship Recycling (London 13th-15th July 2005).
- Marine Environment Protection Committee – 53 (London 18th-22nd July 2005).
- Regional seminar & workshop on implementation of IMO guidelines on ship recycling (Turkey 03rd -10th Oct 2005).
- Joint ILO/IMO/BC working group- 2nd session (Switzerland 12th-4th Dec 2005).
- National Dialogues Dainik Protom Alo (Dhaka, Bangladesh, 13th septâ€™2006).
- Marine Environment Protection Committee-55, (London, 09th-13th Oct 2006).
- Diplomatic conference (Hong Kong convention) – (Hong Kong 11th-15th May 2009).
- Marine Environment Protection committee- 59 (London, 13th – 17th July 2009).
- IMO Council & Assembly, London, 19th Nov – 04th Dec 2009.
- Ship recycling forum Dubai, Speaker:- SBI OF BANGLADESH, 23 – 25th Feb, 2010 Arranged by Tradewinds.
- Marine Environment Protection Committee â€“ 60, (London, 22 â€“ 26th Mar 2010).
- Regional Workshop on the early implementation of the technical standards of the Hong Kong convention -Thailand, 25th-27th May 2010.
- Ship Breaking Industry in Bangladesh & Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR), organized by an NGO, occupational safety, health & environment (OSHE)- speaker, 04th oct,2010, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- ACI Ship Recycling seminar, Speaker: Impact of High Court Rulings on SRI of Bangladesh & its impact locally and globally, London, 18th – 21st October 2010.
- Waste of the World, Jointly sponsored by Sheffield and Durham University (Department of Geography) & Chittagong University (department of anthropology), Resource person, Roundtable Conference-London, 09th November 2010.
- Ship recycling forum Dubai, Resource person & panelist, 01st – 03rd March, 2011 Arranged by Tradewinds.
- Comparison of ISO 30,000 with HKC. seminar speaker, 18th May, 2011, arranged by United Maritime Academy & RINA Classification Society.
- Marine Environment Protection Committee -62, (London, 11th-15th July 2011).
- Comprehensive Safety aspects of the Industries in Bangladesh & Ship breaking in Bangladesh, Its Past-Present & Future Prospects & Role of Classification Society’s 28th January,2014, Organised By RINA / Ask Consultants / UMA In Auditorium of United Maritime Academy, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Occupational Health & Safety In Ship Recycling Industry Context Bangladesh, 08th February,2014, Organised By Rina Classification Society.
- Ship Recycling Industry Of Bangladesh, A Synopsis Record, 04-05th March, 2014, Arranged By Tradewinds, Singapore.
- Global Concerns On SRI Methodology And Expected Requirements, Speaker, 06th Sept,2014
- Ship Breaking, Dismantling, Recycling, Reusing, Context Bangladesh, 10-11th March, 2015, Arranged By Tradewinds In Singapore.
- Requirements Of Forthcoming Hong Kong Convention On Ship Recycling In Bangladesh, Discussion On Ship Recycling Facility Plan (SRFP),Speaker, Organised Jointly By Miti Enterprise & HR Ship Management ,04th April,2015,In National Maritime Institute, Soltgola, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- Technical Requirements Of Hong Kong Convention & EU SRR, 13TH JUNE, 2015, Speaker, Organised Jointly By Miti Enterprise & HR Ship Management In Chittagong Lions Hospital Auditorium, Jakir Hossain Road, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- Ship Recycling Industry Of Bangladesh & Global Concerns, Speaker, 4th December, 2015, Organised By Nautical Institute Bangladesh Dhaka.